MENU

My Cart
Amount 0.00  $

Cart is empty

Our History

Cuervo y Sobrinos Swiss Manufacture, Latin Heritage Our History

Our History

Founded in 1882, Cuervo y Sobrinos has a prodigious history, enriched with many significant milestones along the way. By having a long history, there is an inference that a company possesses expertise and certainly over the coming pages there are many examples of the Maison’s virtuosity.

However, while Cuervo y Sobrinos is proud of its past, it chooses to wholeheartedly embrace the future with magnificent watches that engender desire and confer lasting joy. Indeed, it is the company’s belief that its best years are yet to come.
 

 

1862

 

Ramon Fernandos Cuervo, an immigrant from northern Spain (Asturias) established his first jewellery store on Calle de la Amistad in Havana. This business was a precursor of Cuervo y Sobrinos. 

 

1882

 

Cuervo y Sobrinos was established this year. 

Don Baldomero, Don Teodomiro, Don Jose Maria, Don Armando, Don Placido and Don Lisardo, the so-called ‘newphews’ joined Ramon Fernandos Cuervo in the new business. At this time, the firm’s shop was located at Calle del Teniente Rey 13.

 

1897

 

The shop was prospering and the growing business required more space, the business

moved to Calle de la Muralla 37.

 

1907

 

In 1907, Mr. Ramón Fernández y Cuervo passed away. His nephew, D. Armando Fernández y Río, assumed responsibility for running the company.

 

1917

 

Cuervo y Sobrinos opened a new store at Calle San Rafael y Aguila.

 

1918

 

Cuervo y Sobrinos opened a new store at Calle San Rafael y Aguila.

 

1920

 

Having decided to expand its operations, Cuervo y Sobrinos opened two European facilities, a site in Pforzheim, Germany for the purchase of exclusive stones and an office in Paris, France for trading jewellery.

 

1928

 

Cuervo y Sobrinos established a watch factory in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland, a city synonymous with watchmaking.

 

1932

 

As the business continued to grow, the legal status of the firm changed from a ‘limited liability company’ to a public limited company. This change helped perpetuate growth and attract new talented managers, from outside of the Cuervo family, to join the
firm.

 

1940

 

During the 1940s, the firm’s esteemed reputation spread and the company’s brand name became one of the best known in the American continent.

 

1950

 

The Roaring 50s. Havana was the most luxurious city in the Caribbean and one of the most modern and energetic places within the American continent. The Boutique became a must-see destination for some of the most illustrious visitors to Havana. 
Caruso, Churchill, Einstein, Gable, Hemingway and Neruda were just some of the distinguished visitors to the Cuervo y Sobrinos boutique.

 

1965

 

Cuervo y Sobrinos boutique was nationalised by the government. This caused the firm to suffer a period of decline, still producing watches like a military watch, made for the Cuban army during the country’s intervention in Angola. 

 

1965 - 1996

 

The brand was dormant and made no watches during this period. Nevertheless, the company’s former models still attracted much interest among watch collectors.

 

1997

 

Luca Musumeci and Marzio Villa revived the Cuervo y Sobrinos name and the dawn of a new era began.

 

2001

 

Cuervo y Sorbrinos began developing its first authorised retailers in Italy and Spain. Over the next few years, the company expanded into Germany, Russia and the USA.

 

2002

 

Cuervo y Sobrinos exhibited at Baselworld for the first time. The brand unveiled its Esplendidos, Prominente and Torpedo collections.

 

2003

 

The company created the ‘Latino Award’, recognising the achievements of leading Latin figures. The inaugural prize was awarded to Spanish filmmaker, Pedro Almodovar.

 

2005

 

The luxury marque unveiled its first in-house chronograph calibre, the CYS 2450.

 

2007

 

The brand celebrated its 125th anniversary. The venue provided a perfect backdrop for
the firm to unveil its latest haute horlogerie models, such as the Robusto Tourbillon.

 

2009

 

Cuervo y Sobrinos opened its Havana museum and boutique in the central historic district of Havana. The company was the first international watch brand to inaugurate its own store on the island of Cuba. 

 

2012

 

The brand celebrated its 130th anniversary, releasing a special Historiador limited edition for the occasion.

 

2017

 

The brand celebrated its 135th anniversary, releasing a special Historiador limited edition for the occasion. 

 

2018

 

The brand was acquired by a team of investors from the watchmaking industry.
Massimo Rossi, became the CEO.

 

2019

 

The Historiador 1519 is unveiled. This limited edition watch, restricted to 500 pieces, was designed to mark Havana’s 500th anniversary.